By Norman A. editor Stillman
Read Online or Download AJS Review (The Journal of the Association for Jewish Studies), Vol 19 No. 2 1994 PDF
Best jewish books
The sacred stories and aphorisms amassed right here by way of Martin Buber have their origins within the conventional Hasidic metaphor of existence as a ladder, achieving in the direction of the divine through ascending rungs of perfection. via Biblical riddles and interpretations, Jewish proverbs and non secular meditations, they search to rouse within the reader an entire know-how of the urgency of the human , and of the nice want for self-recognition and non secular renewal.
A JPS bestseller, this is often the definitive paintings of scholarship at the medieval notion of the Jew as devil—literally and figuratively. via files, research, and illustrations, the booklet exposes the complete spectrum of the Jew’s demonization as satan, sorcerer, and formality assassin. the writer finds how those myths, many with origins traced to Christian Europe within the past due center a long time, nonetheless exist in transmuted shape within the sleek period.
Representing the spectrum of subfields inside of Jewish reviews, the contributing students to this quantity use "beginnings" as a hermeneutic stance to research texts of their sector. whereas every one essay is an important contribution to its personal subfield—Bible, Talmud, Kabbalah, glossy Jewish concept, Feminist and Cultural Studies—the essays taken as an entire current new chances for exploring the distance that's Jewish reviews and starting an inquiry into what may represent a definable hermeneutics of Jewish texts.
The yankee Jewish yr publication, now in its 116th 12 months, is the once a year list of the North American Jewish groups and offers perception into their significant developments. half I provides a discussion board at the Pew Survey, “A Portrait of yank Orthodox Jews. ”Part II starts off with bankruptcy thirteen, "The Jewish kin. " bankruptcy 14 examines “American Jews and the foreign enviornment (April 1, 2015 – April 15, 2016), which makes a speciality of US–Israel family members.
- Still moving: recent Jewish migration in comparative perspective
- Passover (Let's See Library)
- Jewish Reactions to the Destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70: Apocalypses and Related Pseudepigrapha (Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism)
- My War against the Nazis: A Jewish Soldier with the Red Army (Alabama Fire Ant)
- Diasporas in Antiquity
- AJS REVIEW The Journal of the Association for Jewish Studies Vol. IX, No. 1 Spring 1984
Additional info for AJS Review (The Journal of the Association for Jewish Studies), Vol 19 No. 2 1994
Cf. Micha J. bin Gorion, Mimekor Yisrael, ed. Emanuel bin Gorion and trans. I. M. Lask (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1976), 2:547 and the sources listed in 3:1506, n. 5. Another version of this story appears in the late medieval Ma'aseh-buch. See Moses Gaster, Ma'aseh Book: Book of Jewish Tales and Legends Translatedfrom the Judeo-German (Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society,1934), pp. 237-239. 100. Horovitz, Tosefta 'Atiqta 5:57. 101. See b. Shab. er)afterbloodletting can lead to leprosy(Rashi,ad.
See also GershomScholem,"Havdalah de-RabbiAkiba:Maqorle-Masoretha-Magiahha-Yehuditbi-Tequfatha-Ge'onim,"Tarbis50 (1980-81): pp. 243-281. 101, a man who has been preventedfromseeing his wife is to recitemagicalnamesover a cup of wine anddrink. 82. 314. Cf. " 83. Halperin,Faces of the Chariot,pp. 379-380. 84. Cf. b. Shab. 108a,wherethe termzohamarefersto foul odors. Heretoo, the injunctionat Sinai not to go near a woman (Exod. Althoughm. Ber. 89 85. , however,b. Nid. 305. 86. 489. preparation. 87.
100. Horovitz, Tosefta 'Atiqta 5:57. 101. See b. Shab. er)afterbloodletting can lead to leprosy(Rashi,ad. , cites b. 49b thatof the ten measuresof skinafflictions [nega'inm]that descended to the world, nine were taken by pigs). Ma'aseh Book, is associated with the statement in b. Ber. 20a that R. 102 these texts, althoughthey may be contemporarywith some of this literature. Rather,both genresreflectpopularnotionsthateach uses to its purpose. "Note here the requirement to wash one's clothes, which was also commandedat Sinai in Exod.